Important: Never provide access codes, PIN numbers, or personal and financial information via email, text, or to unsolicited callers. Wichita Federal Credit Union(WFCU) will never call you to ask you for this information. If you receive an email or text from WFCU and you're unsure if it's real, don't click on any links.
The first thing to look for: Any unauthorized transaction on your account statements or in your transaction history.
Unsolicited emails: Phishing attacks, typically communication that attempts to lure individuals into providing personal information, can be challenging to distinguish from legitimate emails. Watch for these clues:
-Subject Lines that demand urgent or immediate action.
-Odd or unfamiliar senders.
Unsolicited texts: As with fraudulent emails, fraudulent text messages often suggest urgent action, attempting to get you to act quickly before you have time to read and examine the message carefully. They often don't address you by name and contain obvious grammar and/or spelling errors.
Unsolicited calls: WFCU will never call members asking for private account information.
Ways to prevent fraud:
1. Keep your contact information with the credit union up to date.
2. Never click on links in unsolicited emails demanding action to your account.
3. Never respond to or click on links in unsolicited text messages claiming to be from the credit union.
4. Never give account access details to anyone who calls you unexpectedly claiming to be with the credit union. If you are unsure, hang up, and call 316.941.0600.
We're here for our members and will do everything we can to protect your accounts and provide you with the knowledge to spot fraudulent activity. Here are some great resources that can help you understand more about fraud prevention:
Protect your personal information against scams.
Scam artists are taking advantage of people by attempting to obtain personal and financial information.
Here are some additional reminders to help you protect your information from getting into the wrong hands:
1. WFCU will NEVER initiate contact to verify information on your account(s).
2. You will not see an email from us asking you to click on a link to provide personal or financial information. If you are concerned about an email you receive with active links asking you to complete information, hover over the link to see where it goes. If you hover over a link and it goes anywhere else but our website (wichitafcu.com), delete it.
3. Do not respond to emails or social media posts announcing that you won the lottery. Often these scams ask the “winner” to provide personal information to validate that you have won.
4. Never provide your Debit, Visa card, or digital banking credentials to anyone (online or over the phone).
5. As a general rule, do not send money to someone you don’t know or haven’t met. If you feel you have been a victim of a personal financial scam, please notify us immediately so we can help.
6. Protect yourself and do your research before clicking on links appearing to provide information on the virus.
7. Be careful donating to a charity online or through social media and contributing to a crowdfunding campaign. Try searching sites such as guidestar.org and give.org for the name of your charity before donating.
8. Never give up your personal information in order to receive money or other benefits.
9. We know that Social Media Trivia can be fun, but many times, the answers you provide give scammers the information they need, such as cities you've lived in or the name of a pet. It's best not to put personal information out there if you want to be on the safe side.